A Guide to Terms Used on this Site
While L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of the Church of Scientology, said,
"Communication is the universal solvent," it is difficult for the
non-acquainted to understand Scientologese, largely due to the
use of acronyms and redefined or invented words. This makes communication
difficult if not impossible. Why is that?
Why would Hubbard want to make communication difficult?
Some of the following definitions were taken from the
alt.religion.scientology Acronym/Terminology FAQ
originally compiled by Martin Hunt. Others have been supplied by
interested parties. Further information may be found by searching
the internet. Or maybe not, as some of this info has a hard time
making its way to the outside world.
- Aveda shampoo
- A flower scent based line of hygiene products. Aveda
products were considered NOT in violation with LRH's orders
against scented products at the Base, because all the Aveda
scents are natural, flower based scents, and not harsh manmade
chemical scents like normal perfumes.
- Base Executive Staff Statuses
- Normal Class V Orgs have Executive staff statuses, and
the Int Base also has some similar staff status training lineups
for the Int Base top execs (Exec Strata, WDC Members, on up).
- Base Staff Statuses
- Staff Statuses especially for Int Base regular staff.
Others can detail what the courses consist of, one course
had to do with Base Security procedures for example.
- Berthing Building
- The new buildings, 2 or 3 stories tall, that the base
staff will move into once they are completed.
- To leave suddenly. Also, the person who does this. Used in reference
to a Scientologist who leaves the Church of Scientology without following
the specified procedures. The "routing out" procedures are designed to prevent
a person from leaving, using guilt trips, financial and emotional threats,
and a person's feelings of respect for their peers still in the Church of
- LRH's house at the Int Base.
- A person audited enough to be free of the "bank," or
reactive mind (the sum of the memories of pain and unconsciousness
the person has).
- The Commodore's (L. Ron Hubbard) Messengers Organization. A
Sea-Org run power center within the cult, started by the
teenyboppers in hot pants who used to serve as Hubbard's
mouthpieces on board his ships. CMO PAC (Pacific Area Command) is
based in LA, in a large building across the street from the Cedars
of Lebanon Center. The CMO IXU, the Internal eXtension Unit, is in
the HGB, qv. CMO INT and CMO Gold are at the INT base.
- CMOI, CMO INT
- Commodore's Messenger Organization INT - Senior-most CMO
and is in charge of overseeing all CMOs. The CMOs are in charge of
getting the management and service organizations producing and
complying with upper management orders.
- COB, COB RTC
- Chairman of the board for the Religious Technology Center,
the copyright holding body of Scientology, currently former
Commodore's Messenger David Miscavige.
- COB Asst
- COB Assistant, currently Shelly Miscavige.
- Commanding Officer
- DM, David Miscavige
- See COB.
- ED INT
- Executive Director International, the head of the Exec
Strata, currently Guillaume Lesevre. This is not the head of the
cult, despite the title; the head honcho is David Miscavige. The ED
INT can be written to at: Executive Director International, 4833
Fountain Avenue Los Angeles, California, 90027. There are also
message boxes for the ED INT in each org. He replies, too, or
someone does in his name.
- Eval Corps
- Part of Exec Strata, they do the evaluations (administrative why
finding and troubleshooting any assigned area, usually large
organizational problem solving).
- Exec Strata
- Senior Executive Strata. Management organization in charge of
developing programs to be done in service organizations to boost
various areas of production and delivery. Each of the members of
the Exec Strata are responsible for a specific area such as
selling books or field activities. Head of the Exec Strata is the
ED INT, currently Guillaume Lesevre.
- The Flag Executive Briefing Course. A top-level training
course for EDs and other executives delivered at the Flag
Executive Briefing Course. A top-level training course for
EDs and other executives delivered at ITO and possibly a
few other high training orgs. The FEBC used to incorporate strange
events like the Kali ceremony, the ritualistic destruction of model
- A fiasco, a screw-up, particularly something that will attract
bad publicity or negative repercussions.
- False Purpose Rundown
- Gold, Gold Base, Golden Era
- This has been used to refer to both Golden Era Studios and
Gold base, now usually referred to as INT, as most INT orgs have
relocated there. "Golden Era Productions, in charge of producing
e-meters, films, television advertisements, and lectures on
cassettes. Includes PDO (Planetary Dissemination Org)."
Note: E-Meters were also produced by Bridge. Grady Ward:
"My first impression of Gold Base as Keith Henson drove me
through it on Monday is that it looked exactly like a Nazi
theme park. A delightful little caricature of a Scientology
'church' with a flowering bed in front of it - surrounded
by the nastiest razor wire, floodlights, and video observation
cameras I have ever seen."
- Happy Valley
- Castille Canyon Ranch, the ranch where crops were grown,
some animals were kept (chickens, pigs, turkeys, horses, dogs,
cats) over the years, and where the INT RPF berths and some
- The Hollywood Guaranty [sic] Building, a twelve story office
building at Hollywood Boulevard and Ivar formerly owned by the Bank
of America. It is an old building that was constructed in the 1920s
and purchased by Scientology with cash in the mid-'80s. All
International management (upper middle management above continents
and below *INT* - see Int) is located in this building.
- Horwich House
- Jon Horwich and daughter, Roann Hubbard Horwich, lived
together in this small bungalo building at the INT Base,
while she grew up.
- Household Unit is under CMO Gold, and they clean and maintain
the LRH office and living spaces on the INT Base.
- Int, INT
- The International Management level of Scientology's massive
bureaucracy, upper middle management above continental level and
below the INT level. Much of it is now located in the HGB, qv. INT
and Int are not the same thing; Int stands for International
whereas INT refers to the higher INT level organizations. Crew
members of INT level organizations are required to have an INT
security clearance which is somewhat difficult to acquire.
- INT Base
- See Gold.
- INT RPF
- The RPF out at Happy Valley.
- Lafayette Ronald Hubbard, founder of Scientology. L. Ron Hubbard
is often called "Ron" by his followers. Other names frequently used
for him are: L. Ron Hubbard, The Commodore, Source, and The Admiral.
Born in 1911 in Tilden, Nebraska; died in 1986.
- Massacre Canyon Inn, the wog name of the large dining and clubhouse
facility that used to be the large restaurant and dancefloor facility for the
Gilman Hot Springs resort, and today this large building is the dining hall
for the whole INT Base, and their local event space and auditorium type facility
for all base meetings.
- M&M House
- Maintenance Man's house, where during the Gilman Hot Springs
resort days, this house housed the permanent local maintenance personnel for
- NED (New Era Dianetics) for OTs (Operating Thetans). New Era Dianetics
is Dianetics on the wholetrack, your last 75 trillion years. NED for OTs
is abbreviated NOTS, and as this is done solo, with the soup-can electrodes
of the E-Meter in one hand so the other is free to write up the session,
it is then called Solo NOTS.
- Organization Executive Course. An executive training course
and its associated policy in HCOPLs, Hubbard Communication Office
Policy Letters, collected into a set of eight large numbered green
volumes, also called the "Green Vols." A person knowing the data in
these volumes fully and applying it could completely reverse any
down-trending statistics, or even a bring back a failing company,
- Old Gilman's House. The family Gilman's actual old house. Gilman
of the Gilman Hot Springs resort name. It is a two story old fashioned
American house, and it's been a berthing building for staff for years.
Then it was auditing rooms most recently, and today not sure how it is
utilized. Possibly solo auditing rooms, I have no idea. Someone should
offer the info on its current use.
- Office of Special Affairs. The "dirty work" department, the
cult's KGB. Took over from the GO, Guardian's Office, when the GO's
leaders went to jail for infiltrating government offices, stealing
and altering official files that put the cult in a bad light.
- OSA Int
- Office of Special Affairs International - Oversees DSA
(Director of Special Affairs) network as well as handling
international external threats against the Church of Scientology
and international legal matters.
- OT 3, OT Levels
- Operating Thetan, one who is above Clear, a state of partial
enlightenment, and who is not just free of unconscious impulses,
but is free of other things too so that they can operate, and be
causative over the physical universe and do kewl things like fry
bugs, read minds, kill people with a thought, etc. Note: most of
the OT levels have been modified over time, sometimes extensively.
These modifications are designated "New OT (levels).
- PAC RPF
- See also RPF. Pacific Area Command (Los Angeles area)
Rehabilitation Project Force, in the basement of the Cedars Complex.
Most RPF'ers live in Lebanon Hall and do their courses on the first
floor of the main building. Only a few are sent to the basement
the RPF's RPF down in the extensive tunnel network under the main
building that extends out under the parking lot.
- PDO, PDU
- Planetary Dissemination Organization, does the international
marketing and promotion.
- R Comps
- LRH Compilations, handles all LRH book research, editing,
preparation for printing. Has been working on the Research and
Discovery volumes for almost two decades now, and all LRH book matters.
- Rehabilitation Project Force, the cult's internal gulag where
bad people are sent for punishment or "rehabilitation"; a brain
washing and penal organization.
- Religious Technology Center. David Miscavige is COB - Chairman
of the Board - of the RTC, which holds the trademarks and copyrights.
Senior-most management organization in Scientology (on the chart).
Protects the technologies of Dianetics and Scientology through the
ownership of the trademarks. Includes the Inspector General Network
which is responsible for the three main realms of activity (ethics,
tech, and administration). Each of these realms are overseen by an
Inspector General (IG Ethics, IG Tech, and IG Admin).
- LRH Tech Research and Compilations
- running program
- In an effort to help tired executives who only worked 18 hour days,
Hubbard devised a program of taking megadoses of mineral supplements
and running circles around a pole or tree for five hours a day in
- Sea Org
- SO, the Sea Org, the commanding and controlling element in the
cult, partly working off ships, partly land-based at Flag in
Clearwater, FLA, the Cedars Complex in Los Angeles, and other
places. The core is now at the INT Base and the HGB, qv.
- Snr C/S INT
- Senior Case Supervisor Int, part of INT management and is
located with CMO INT. The person holding this post is considered
the senior-most technical terminal within the Church and is
responsible, with his or her juniors, for overseeing standard
delivery, receiving tech related petitions, and c/s'ing difficult
cases which cannot be resolved at a smaller organization.
- Stacy Moxon Meyer
- Int Base staff member, died in an electrocution accident.
Daughter of Scientology lawyer Kendrick Moxon.
- STCC evolution
- Success Through Communication Course, a new communications
course that all INT Base staff had to do, it was a COB order.
- A series of 12 rundowns including: Ethics and Justice
Repair Rundown, Personal Revival Rundown, Consequences Rundown, and
False Data and Loss Rundown. Delivered by Super Power auditors at
FSO (Flag) and might also be delivered to staff at Class Vs who
have completed KTL (in English speaking organizations) and LOC.
Release of this rundown is expected to make planetary clearing and
the expanding of all service organizations to the size of old Saint
Hill a reality.
- Team Share system
- System for rewards and penalties at the Int Base, to
encourage teamwork and production
- Translation Unit
- Watchdog Committee. A high-level security arm designed to
keep an eye on the other branches. Senior-most management
organization in the Church of Scientology. WDC Chairman is,
officially, the head of the Church. In 1993 this post was held by
the CO CMO INT somewhat secretly, but it may be policy for these
two posts to be held by the same individual. This organization
oversees large areas of Scientology such as OSA, WISE, SMI, SO
Service Orgs, etc. and each one of these areas are overseen by
a specific executive (referred to as WDC OSA, WDC SMI, etc.).